What Does an Administrative Consultant Do for Me, You Ask?

Here’s a client education video for you.

Feel free to use it on your website to help explain to clients what you do and how you help them as someone who is in the administrative support business.

1. Nikki says:

Excellent video!!

2. Marie says:

Thanks so much for sharing this. It’s tough sometimes to remind clients that I’m not a business adviser nor the final decision maker. You’ve explained this in a very positive tone.

3. Arlene says:

Thanks for sharing the video. Pity I couldn’t copy it onto my website. Would have been great. You are awesome. Arlene

4. You should be able to, Arlene. At the end of the video, there’s a link to “share.” Click that and copy/paste the embed code onto your webpage. 🙂

5. Vicky Miles says:

Danielle, an absolutely outstanding video!!! I will sure be re-publishing this. As usual, you present things in such a clear and articulate way. It sound soooo simple yet so many time we struggle to convey this message.

Thanks a lot!!!
    Vicky

6. Jeanette Kahle says:

I am not sure, but I think I saw a typo. on the smily face slide, it says “Its in all in the relationship” should that not say “It’s all in the relationship”?
    Otherwise, I love it, Thank you!

7. Holy crapola! I’ll have to fit that pronto! Thanks for the eagle eyes 🙂

8. Hi Danielle,

Great video! Thank you for clearly defining the role of Administrative Support Consultant in the piece…well done!

I have seen you use the AC title on your site and now in this video. Can you share, what the feedback has been (if any) in using the AC title in lieu of the title virtual assistant?

I feel that the term VA does not clearly define the industry. Your use of AC intrigues me.

Thanks!

Janine

9. Thanks, Janine 🙂

In answer to your question, I’ve never used the term Virtual Assistant when telling people what I do for the exact reason you mention: it’s a misnomer; it doesn’t clearly explain what we do or the correct B2B nature of the relationship; and causes problems in the relationship by setting wrong connotations and perceptions.

I’ve been very successful using the term. I’ve always simply said that I provide administrative support and explained how I help people, and only at the end of a conversation would I add “…it’s what we call Virtual
    Assistance” just so they would have a mental coat hook to hang the description on. However, as stated above, that was still problematic because when you call yourself an assistant (which is a term of employment, not business), people only understand that term one way: employee.

In the last couple of year since using the Administrative Consultant term, it’s been absolutely fantastic. I’ve always been embarrassed by the term “Virtual Assistant” and this new term just fits like a glove. I am so much more at home in it. And people “get it” (the nature of the relationship; that I’m a business owner, not their assistant; that I’m in the administrative business, etc.) so much more quickly and easily. I don’t have to waste so much time anymore properly educating clients about all those things, and they approach the relationship much more respectfully, far different than how those who think they’re hiring some kind of substitute employee.

The feedback from those who have also starting using the term has been great as well. In fact, not too long ago I posted here on the blog about this topic and there are a few comments from others who started using the term as well sharing their positive experiences.

10. Just on that, since I’ve been calling myself Administrative Consultant, I’ve found it has actually changed how I think about myself – I am much more confident. I just had a blinding realisation about that this afternoon. In fact, although for years I thought I had got over the employee mentality, I had only done so as far as being able to say ‘yes’ or ‘no’ to things. I’ve now realised there’s this other whole aspect about believing in my own ability to be on the appropriate level rather than on a subordinate one.

11. Claire Smith says:

Great explanation, thanks Danielle!