Can I Pick Your Brain?

Many of you longtime readers may remember the year I decided to move the ACA Success Store to its own store-based platform. I thought it would make things nicer and easier for our customers.

It was a disaster.

People hated it and sales plummeted.

I only know anecdotally, but it appeared that people really didn’t like having to go through multiple clicks to browse the products available.

And they REALLY didn’t like having to create an account in order to purchase.

It didn’t make sense because having to create an account to make a purchase is common practice (e.g., clothing/retail stores, Amazon, etc.).

But it really does come down to knowing your audience and the specific industry/market you’re in, as well as the kind of products you’re offering. You can’t just blindly follow conventional (i.e., generic) best-practice advice because one size does not fit all. And as they say, test, test, test.

There’s a big difference between info/training products and, say, retail clothing.

What we found was that our Success Store customers prefer having ALL the products on one long page.

And once we reverted back to that, sales started coming back up.

So, what got me musing about all this is because I have a new product that I need to add to the store, which is going to add to the length of the page even more. And I wondered if there might be a better way to do this that would bring more ease to our customers without negatively disrupting sales.

Here’s what I’d like to know from you…

I was thinking that on the individual products, where the descriptions are really long, it might be useful to have just the basic description and purchase button and then a link to take those who want more info to a separate page for that item with the longer description.

If you were shopping, would that be helpful to your experience and make scanning/purchasing easier for you?

Or, would having to click through to a separate page for each individual product get tiring and annoying to you, and I should leave things as they are?

Lemme know. I would sure appreciate your insights and advice. Thank you!

PS: Here’s the Success Store page in question. Is it too long for you? What other suggestions do you have for improving the usability/readability of the page?

14 Comments Posted in Polls. Bookmark the permalink.

1. Just my two cents worth, but personally I like having it all on one page. I hate having to click through to another page to get more information. But that’s just me. πŸ˜‰

2. Linda says:

Hi Danielle –
    What about making it 2 columns wide? Have everything for each item go the entire width of the 2 columns.

3. How about the short description and then everything else in a pop-up? The kind of pop-up that only comes up once and then if you click a different one THAT pop-up becomes whatever you just clicked, so you don’t have a ton of pop-ups all over the place. Sorry, I don’t know what that is called – more your bailiwick than mine!

I too prefer things on one long page, but if you need to put it into broad categories (2 or 3), that works too.

4. Jayleen says:

You could still keep it on one page but change it to a collapsible list. Then it would be easier to scroll through.

5. Great idea, Jayleen. I was thinking along the same lines. I just need to ask my programmer if that’s something he can do. I have no clue how to do them myself. Do you know much about collapsible lists? That is, what kind of language does it use? Can it be done with CSS?

6. Lu Sabal says:

Frankly, I like the long page and that works well for me for this reason.

Its all in one place and I’m not hunting around looking for information that I clicked on that appeared in other windows.

7. Norma says:

I like the long page, and I like the collapsible list suggestion. πŸ™‚

8. Jayleen says:

CSS! Depending on what platform he uses, he could use a template for a standard FAQ page with the “Expand All/Collapse All” options. But, if he writes all of his own code, that should be a simple one for him to do as it’s a pretty standard feature now.

9. Awesome! Thanks, Jayleen. I’ve got an email into my programmer as we speak.

Thanks everyone! But do keep on posting your ideas and suggestions. I really, really value and appreciate your help. πŸ™‚

10. Anne Utulu says:

I like one long page as it shows everything that is on offer. Easier to plan current purchase and others that you would like to purchase in future. xoxo

11. Elizabeth Nadler says:

Danielle,

I like your idea of having one page, but with links to more detailed descriptions for each product. The key to making it easier is making sure that the description always opens in a new window – that way no one has to keep navigating back and forth hunting through previous pages to find a product. I would also put the price and the purchase button on both pages.

Elizabeth Nadler

12. Becky Copeland says:

I like the collapsible idea as well

13. Kathryn says:

The long list looks to be the best. I have done a “mouse over” in the past where when you move your mouse over the word or picture a dialog box comes up with a longer description. Good Luck!

14. Felisa Wash says:

I think having a basic description and purchase button and a collapsible list for more information, for those who want it, is the perfect solution! πŸ™‚